Thursday 3 July 2008

The Amateur Garden

























With a mix of valuable advice from the grandma next door and my pig-headedness (one step forward and two steps back) the garden is becoming evident.
The land here hasn`t been used in at least 3 years, making it rich in nutrients, worms and weeds. I`m sure all the local grandmas and grandpas are shaking their heads that an inexperienced foreigner like me gets to work such great land in a great location. But we`re only renting for the year. It`s my chance of a lifetime ;)

Hacking through sugina`s (horsetail) deep root system has been great for my arms. The other day in the onsen (hotspring bath) I squealed out loud, caught completely off guard by the unrecognizable lumps bobbing up and down just below my shoulders. You see, onsens are equipped with waist-high mirrors where you sit down to scrub before immersing in the shared tubs. Not being warm e nough yet to sport shortsleeves, this was the first time to see the `fruits of my labours`. This is pure glory for me. I`ve always been a 90 lb. weakling.




















the herb garden





















tomatoes, eggplant, peas, broccoli, cucumber and melon





















This guy was huge!!

1 comment: